Monday, April 07, 2014

Hipsters and Chickens, etc.


Finally.  Spring, for real.  There are flowers outside to prove it.  It's been unusually busy around here, and I haven't made the time to sit down and blog, so I have some catching up to do.

In Girl Scout news, there is a big troop art show coming up, and the girls have been painting.



Everything they have done is fantastic.  I can't wait for the show.  Here is a sneak preview of one of Daphne's paintings.  This one is called "STARVING!"  I apologize...it is apparently upside down.


Saturday was our 11th anniversary.  There we are, 11 years ago, below.  That was a fun day.


Saturday night, we went out to celebrate.


On our way downtown, there were some chickens.  !!!???


We had a great dinner at the Wine Kitchen, and saw two really good local bands at the Tally Ho.  These guys are the Woodshedders:


It's funny, because there really aren't a lot of hipsters in Leesburg, but we always see a few when we go see bands at the Tally Ho.  This time, I must have been tired, because the hipsters got on my nerves more than usual.  There was one girl who looked just like Winona Ryder from the Reality Bites era.  She was "smoking" some kind of pretend cigarette that the kids like these days.  It lights up blue on the end, and smells terrible, like some sort of really strong bad incense.  It was just as gross as a real cigarette.  How do these things work?  Are there tiny batteries in them?  Anyway, Fake Winona Ryder was there with a guy known to me only as "Hair-Do."  Hair-Do had a white man's afro that was impressively tall and completely out of control.  Fake Winona and Hair-Do liked to dance, but not just in one spot.  They sort of did laps.  FWR's dance was kind of like the chickens we saw earlier in the night...just sort of strutting around in circles, nodding her head up and down and occasionally turning in a little spin move.  Hair-Do was more of a "back and forth" dancer, and always seemed a little unstable, on the verge of toppling over, which was scary because he was a big guy and could have easily crushed FWR or any other small-ish person if he fell on them.  Then, there was this hippie guy who just sort of swayed back and forth, but he swayed too close to me and he smelled like peanut butter sandwiches, so I moved away from there pretty fast.

The music, however, was fantastic.  Especially the Woodshedders.  Those guys are really talented.  I don't even know how to describe it.  Kind of a melange of Swing, Bluegrass, Old Country, and Funk.  Really really cool.  

So, happy anniversary to Kev, and thanks for 11 good years and a REALLY fun night out with the hipsters and chickens.  Here is what we looked like the next day:


We spent most of yesterday in the cul de sac, pogo-ing and scootering and biking and drawing things with sidewalk chalk.  It was sad to have to come inside.



In other news, I am gearing up for my knitting classes at the Finch.  I'll be teaching this beginner scarf:


and this intermediate one:


And on Friday, I'll be heading out on a road trip with this little goofball.  


I can't wait!  Tales of adventure are sure to come.

But now, I have to get going on my day.  Lots to do this week to get ready for our trip.  This week's meal plan requires some extra thought, because I want to have some things to leave behind for Kev to eat while we're gone. And I have to get ready for Easter before I leave.  And clean and pack and all that good stuff.   

OK...less talk, more action.  See ya later!

No comments: